Setting up Environments
What are environments and how do they help
I just signed up. Why do I see a few environments configured?
Ozone bootstraps a few environments by default. They are as follows
- Production (Categorised as a production environment type)
Environments are logical groupings to cater to Variables, Applications and Clusters bindings. A single environment maps to a single cluster and can contain environment specific values for variables.
An application can then be deployed to any of these environments, with auto-injection of variables for that environment during deployment workflows
- Navigate to Resources in the sidebad
- Click on Environments
- Click on +New Environment
- Give your environment a name (for example dev-front-end)
- Mark it as production or non-production environment
- Save the environment
Ozone creates a mapping to each environment for every variable that you define within ozone. Imagine a scenario where a Database credential varies per environment since there are multiple instances, ie, one for each environment.
Thus, you can have multiple values for variables across environments and hence re-usable pipeline definitions